[TowerTalk] Pse help Glen Martin grounding

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Pse help Glen Martin grounding
From: jfleming@shelbynet.net (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 15:00:41 -0500
I'm having a lot of trouble grounding my Glen Martin aluminum tower!  They
supply one short wire and a ground rod - HI.  I have copper strap I plan to
use more in line with Polyphaser recs.  However, I'm having trouble
figuring out how to best attach copper strap to this tower.

The aluminum tower legs are bolted into a steel "boot" at the base/bottom
of the tower.  Choices for attaching the copper strap seem to be either the
tower legs or the boot.  I ordered some angle adapters, but these will not
fit my tower, and the ones I got don't look suited for copper strap.

1.  Any good ideas about how to fasten strap to the boot or tower legs?  I
could bolt it to the boot if you think the contact area/proximity  would be
sufficient.  I figure drilling in the legs would be a bad idea, and the
carriage bolts that attach the sections won't accomdate the strap well
either.

2.  Any ideas about a good clamping scheme to attach to the legs or boot?

3.  Other ideas?

(If you have the time, the tower is pictured at the web site below.)
MANY THANKS!
WA9ALS - John  mailto:jfleming@shelbynet.net
Tower Project http://www.shelbynet.net/~jfleming/towerprogress.htm
Amateur Homepage http://www.shelbynet.net/~jfleming/amstart.htm