[TowerTalk] Self-Alignment of Tower Mast, Rotor and Thrust Bearing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Self-Alignment of Tower Mast, Rotor and Thrust Bearing
From: aa4nn@juno.com (Joe L Blackwell)
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 22:10:14 -0400
Hi Chuck, de Joe AA4NN
Just make sure your thrust bearing is in there correctly at 90 degrees
to the mast as you tighten the set screws to hold the weight of the mast
and antenna.  A warped thrust bearing will make the rotator bind.
73 & GL

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999 16:39:09 -0400 "Mills, Chuck" <millscl@msx.upmc.edu>
writes:

> Hi all...I'm putting up my first tower and am in the final
> adjustment stage.
> My last problem to overcome is aligning the mast dead center in the
> thrust
> bearing and the rotor on the rotor tray.
>
> I could use some advice.  Here is some background:
>
> Tower is a Glenn Martin RT-424 and a Cushcraft A3S.  Still binds up
> and
> won't do a complete 360 without help (i.e. me up on the roof pushing
> it as
> it binds).
>
> What was suggested (by the guy I bought the rotor from) was this:
>
> o - Keep thrust bearing set screws tight and holding weight of mast
> and
> antenna.
> o - Keep rotor to mast plate tight so it will spin the beam.
> o - Loosen the 4 bolts that hold the rotor to the rotor shelf.
> o - Spin the rotor around 360 from due south to due south and then
> back
> around 180 degrees to due
>      North.
> o - Immediate tighten down the 4 bolts and then rotate it arund a
> few more
> times to check the
>      alignment.  If no wind gusts knock it out of kilter during the
> spin or
> before I get the bolts tightened,
>      this will most probably self align it as the rotor "moves"
> itself into
> a good position for unrestricted
>      movement.
>
> What does everyone think of this methodology?  This is my first
> tower and
> beam of any kind so any help would be appreciated.  If my reasoning
> isn't
> sound, what is the best way of aligning the mast to allow it to spin
> freely?
>
> Thanks es 73,
> Chuck / W3YNI
>
> --
> FAQ on WWW:
> http://www.contesting.com/towertalkfaq.html

Vy 73, de Joe AA4NN
Eastern Top Band ARC,  Carolina DX Assn,  Carolina CW Ops,
Fairfield County Contesters, Ten-Tec only, CW only.
eeetet   ee