[TowerTalk] 80M 4-SQR

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 80M 4-SQR
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 12:12:05 +0100
At 08:49 PM 9/2/99 -0600, Steve London wrote:

>I believe that a dipole-based 4-square, such as described by K3LR will work
>well.  However, it is worth noting that K3LR has added a 2 element 80 meter
>rotatable yagi to his arsenal.  Clearly, the 4-square wasn't quite the
>answer he was looking for.

Hey, no surprise.  If you can get a horizontal yagi up 3/4 wavelength or
so, there's up to 6 dB of ground reflection gain free for the taking, and
the take-off angle comes right down to what the four-square offers. F/B
won't be nearly as good, but in a lot of cases that is an advantage if you
have to turn an antenna as opposed to turning a switch.  I suppose the yagi
might not hear as well, though.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com

Sometimes a tower is just a tower