[TowerTalk] TIC Installation Advice Requested

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TIC Installation Advice Requested
From: w2up@mindspring.com (Barry Kutner)
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 11:55:27 -0400
Hi Mark - Bet you're gonna open a can of worms on this one, hi.  I have
two TIC rings up, the most recent installed 2 weeks ago. Here's a list
of things to do:

1. Do a dry run and install it on the tower 3-4 ft high while
standing on the ground. This will make the up-in-the-air assembly go a
lot smoother.
2. Make sure everything is level as you install it.
3. When I installed the first one, wooden blocks were suggested to
support the frame while attaching to tower.  Current version suggests
wires. The wooden blocks work better, IMO
4. For the more recent ring I installed, instructions were pretty good.
No additional tools, other than what's recommended were needed. I found
it helpful to have both wrenches and a rachet set available
5. Before putting antenna up, make sure the ring spins freely as you
turn it by hand (before installing motor).
6. When installing motor, push hard against the ring gear, then tighten
the 2 bolts. Have someone on ground, turn it back and forth 360 deg
several times while you watch it from below. Odds are, there will be a
spot where the 2 gears don't mesh. Stop rotation at this point, loosen
the 2 motor bolts, and push it back tightly against the ring (and
realign the direction). This should be the motor's final position.

My experience has been once up and working, works like a champ.
Assembly can be a little tricky...
GL/Barry

On 10 Sep 99, mpride@us.ibm.com <mpride@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Need input from the TT troops as to required tools, equipment, etc. (anything
> beyond the normal tools used on towers, antennas, etc.)  for installation of
> the
> TIC product.  Going to put on a Rohn 45 tower. Special precautions during the
> installation, etc?  Hints, suggestions welcome here!
>
> Any problems reported in the field on this product?
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark, K1RX
>

> --

Barry Kutner, W2UP                            Internet: w2up@mindspring.com
Newtown, PA                                   Frankford Radio Club