[TowerTalk] Trees as anchors and guy dynamics

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Trees as anchors and guy dynamics
From: n3rd@ix.netcom.com (Dave Hawes)
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 19:01:45 -0400
On 10 Sep 99, GALE STEWARD wrote:

> Apparently the "pros" drill thru the trunk or limb and use a large
> eye-bolt with nuts/washers.  The nut can then be backed off
> periodically to allow for the tree growth.

I'm not sure that backing the nut off is required.  In 1972, I drilled a
hole through a 12" maple tree, and installed a forged eye bolt with a
large flat washer and nut on the other side.  Three-hole equalizer
plates were installed for the three turnbuckles.  When I took the
tower down in 1997, The only thing visible was from the middle of
the turnbuckles out!  The washer and nut on the other side had been
long ago engulfed by the tree growth, as had been the equalizer
plates and a portion of the turnbuckles.  A reciprocating saw was
used to cut the turnbuckles flush to the tree.

The tree didn't seem to mind.

Dave, N3RD