[TowerTalk] Summary of responses "weight on rotator"

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Summary of responses "weight on rotator"
From: jackcolson@x-press.net (jack colson)
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 10:22:33 -0400
Hi Jack,
The common wisdom is that the rotor is designed and should support the
weight
of the mast and antenna. That said, I have had a 4-el quad (24 foot
boom) up
on a Tri-Ex HD3-54 crank up tower for over 30 years that is
weight-supported
by the TB-2 thrust bearing and the bearing still turns smoothly. Total
weight
of antenna and mast is about 105 lbs. The rotors are Ham IVs. I say
rotors
because I've put a few in over the years because the Midwest winds have
torn
up the brake and gears.
Hope this helps and good luck,
Joe, KØJN

Jack,

I prefer to have the weight on the rotor and keep
the thrust bearing as a guide.  However, I don't
stick it directly on the rotor.  Instead I use a
piece of 1/8" aluminium shim stock directly on top
of the rotor.
When I want to change the rotor, I simply loosen
the rotor clamps, pry out the shim stock and
voila! Thrust bearing supports antenna till the
rotor goes back in.

73 de Brian/K3KO

Don't pin it. I always put all the weight on a HAM-M,
don't think I have ever used a thrust bearing in my
life. But, you have to have some way to jack up the
mast to get  rotor out.

Ed, W3EKT.

Hello Jack,
As reported in prior posts, having some weight on the rotator is a good
thing, as they are designed for a vertical load, which helps keep their
bearings seated and wearing evenly. This also seems to help them resist
lateral loads from wind, which try to push the mast back-and-forth down
at
the rotator level. Just be sure you are not over-loading the rotator
weight-wise.
What I did was to install a second thrust bearing above the rotator.
During normal operation, I have the clamping bolts tight on the upper
thrust
bearing and loose on the lower bearing, with all the weight being taken
by
the rotator (I also have a Yaesu 800 SDX). For maintenance, I lift the
mast
and antenna assembly up just enough to clear the rotator, and tighten
the
clamp bolts on both bearings to hold it in place. Then I can remove the
rotator.

--...MARK_N1LO...--

Thanks guys,  W3TMZ