[TowerTalk] Tower Height question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Height question
From: k6ll@juno.com (k6ll@juno.com)
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 17:04:15 -0600

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 19:07:30 -0400 "KIRK LAWRENCE"
<kirklaw@flint.umich.edu> writes:

>Hello,
>       I need some practical experience from some of you guys who
>have "been there."  I currently have a Mosley TA-34 XL tribander on
>a 30 ft. tower.  I am considering buying a new crank-up.  The main
>question is, is there a major difference from the 50ft. level to the
>70
>ft. level.  The price difference between the 50 and 70 is enough to
>make me question it (realizing that 70ft. models generally come
>with motors, postive pull down, etc.).  But my question really lies in
>
>"is it worth the $ and effort to get the largest tower in height that
>can afford?"  I generally will work 20 and 40 meters with this set-
>up.
>       Thanks in advance for any input fellas.
>
>                               Kirk   AB8BC

I've done the analysis between 50', 70', and 90' several times,
using computer models, trying to decide whether it's worth the
investment for me.

The difference between 50' and 70' is 2 dB at the useful low
angles on all bands. I believe this applies to both transmitted
signal strength, and receive signal-to-noise level, in most
cases.

Two years ago, I helped a local ham install a Triex LM-470D.
It's a beautiful piece of work. I think he paid about
$4000 for it, which, after seeing it, seemed to be a bargain.

Going to 90' is worth another 2 dB, but requires stacking to
cover the high angles on 10, 15, and 20, which adds yet
another 3dB. It also introduces a whole new set of expenses.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
San Diego, CA
K6LL@juno.com