[TowerTalk] Non Resonant Guy Wire Lengths

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Non Resonant Guy Wire Lengths
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 06:20:15 -0600

On Mon, 20 Sep 1999 11:41 EDT W4nf@aol.com writes:

 > The middle set will be 76' long so I thought I would break it up as
> follows
> starting from the tower and going down to the anchor:  4' - 54' - 18'.
>
> The top set will be 92' long and I was going to break up as follows:
>  4' -  54' - 27' - 7'.
>
> Please tell me if I'm doing anything fundamentally wrong with this
> approach.
> I would prefer to keep them as long as possible as I'm going broke
> already  with the purchase of the antennas, etc.
>
> Thanks for your help.  Jack W4NF

You are wise to place an insulator as close to the tower as possible.
This prevents coupling from your Yagi to the guy wire immediately
under it.  I like to then use one or two 12 ft sections before going
to longer pieces (27 or 40 or 54 ft).  The  12 ft pieces are 25%
shorter than 1/2 WL on 10 M and therefore "nearly" invisible
in the HF spectrum.   (My guys are 4 - 12 - 12 - 27 etc)

If you want to minimize the number of insulators and stick with
the lengths listed above, I would reverse the order in the top set
to 4 - 27 - 54 - 7.

de  Tom  N4KG