[TowerTalk] Flying cable followup

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Flying cable followup
From: n4vhk@summitschool.com (Henry Heidtmann)
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 09:36:44 -0400
Thanks to the many responses I received about my noise problem in a
feedline that I flew between a tower and the house on 1/4" cable. Things
to check included doorbell transformer, baby monitor, sprinkler head
timers, grounding the cable, ungrounding the cable, choke balun on the
monobander, PC in the house---
Yesterday I got rid of the noise by insulating the 35' cable from the
cast iron vent pipe on the house. ( it was already insulated from the
tower)- I think the 35' cable was acting as an antenna for any possible
noise source in the house- Someone mentioned the argument of the system
acting as a detector....I've heard about this with rusted guy lines on a
local 2m repeater- guess that could have been the culprit here-
Anyway the second antenna has ears- looking forward to the big test this
weekend-
Thanks for all the suggestions-
73,
Henry, N4VHK