[TowerTalk] Tuning the K8UR-Style 4-Square

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tuning the K8UR-Style 4-Square
From: philk5pc@tyler.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 12:50:04 -0500
On page 11-79 of ON4UN's 1999 book, Mike, K4PI
uses vacuum relays to switch about 6 feet of wire on
each of his 4 dipoles at the ground level to QSY his
K8UR-style 4-square from the SSB DX window to the
CW DX window on 80m.

Since my version was resonant when installed at 3622 khz,
I cut 5 feet off the bottom end of each dipole to QSY the
array to  3770 khz. My  "window of resonance" on this array
is 100 khz. IOW, the power to the dummy load on the Comtek
box is zero from 3713 to 3813 khz.

All this sounds really good, but could this be good VSWR for
all the wrong reasons? I now no longer have  4 symetrical dipoles,
but 4 off-center-fed dipoles. What has this done to the pattern
and or the Comtek box? Has anyone run any modeling on a
situation similiar to this one? Please share any of your experiences.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC