[TowerTalk] GAP Titan

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] GAP Titan
From: ed_juge@zianet.com (Ed Juge)
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 14:17:51 -0500
Well, Joe, I may have confused things when I said he is in Ft. Worth and
I'm in Ruidoso...  I lived in Ft. Worth until five years ago, and his
problems started when I was still there.  He continued to patch the antenna
together and use it until 2 or 3 years ago.

I went to his home several times to look over the way he had assembled and
installed the GAP to see if I could find anything that could be causing his
on-going problem.  So, my knowledge was "first-hand" despite the fact I
wasn't the owner (thank goodness!)

It's been a few years ago and my memory ain't what it used to be, but I
remember seeing some of the hardware and some aluminum that had fallen off,
and I distinctly recall this happening very regularly.  Sorry, I can't be
more specific after all this time.  Bob would be more than happy to relate
the story but he is in the Orient for a couple of weeks.  He can be reached
at K2RM@ARRL.COM.

Ed, W5EJ

At 02:44 PM 10/8/99 -0400, Joe L Blackwell wrote:
>To: towertalk@contesting.com
>Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] GAP Titan
>

>Dear OM Phil, K5PC
>Sorry you are so misinformed.  The GAP verttical is not a vertical per
>se,
>it is a vertical dipole!  Adding radials to a GAP is the worse thing you
>can
>do.  The recommended wires are a counterpoise for the lower bands, like
>40, 80 and 160.  These counterpoise wires are not radials !  Get it !
>Having said that, I tried a GAP, hoping to optimize it for 80 meters and
>the
>entire setup stunk.  Nuff said.  GAP has its place, but it is not a
>vertical that
>requires radials.  Get that through all your heads when you complain
>about
>the GAP.
>Okay, Phil, so your friend (K2RM) said things kept falling off the GAP.
>My oh
>My, there aren't too many things that can fall off a GAP, a coupla
>resonant
>arms which are fastened to the basic vertical via plastic connectors.
>Maybe
>your friend, K2RM, could enlighten us with a more first hand experience.
>No?
>Putting comments like yours on the reflector, when you do not have first
>hand
>knowledge just leads to speculation and bias as regards particular
>antennas.
>
>73, de Joe AA4NN
>aa4nn@juno.com

Ed Juge