[TowerTalk] GAP Titan

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] GAP Titan
From: Guy Olinger, K2AV" <k2av@contesting.com (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 15:52:30 -0400
What you relate are classic ground proximity symptoms.

In the case of 40 meters you tuned the length of the 40 meter wire at the lower
height. When you raised the capacity to ground from it changed. My experience
with the Gap is that the 40 meter wire has to be readjusted with a change in
height.

In the case of 80 meters, the reason that the Gap was broader banded was because
ground absorption is essentially broadband. In free space, an antenna as short
as the Gap on 80 meters is going to have a very narrow low swr range around the
matching point. Can't be fixed, just physics.

You could achieve broadbandedness by putting a dummy load in series with the
feedline. 80 meters will broaden out very nicely. :You were using the ground as
a like dummy load.

On 80 using the Gap, you have to pick your 50 kHz window, or use a tuner (low
power only). They will send you a cap for whatever freq you want. I got one for
the low end (3.5 MHz). The one they normally send for CW is for 3.6 MHz

Your 10 and 15 meter results told the truth.

73, Guy
k2av@contesting.com
Apex, NC, USA