[TowerTalk] Elementary question about Skip

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Elementary question about Skip
From: brian_smithson@vds.com (Brian Smithson)
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 12:51:50 -0400
One thing I've noticed as I get used to this directional
beam stuff (used all wires prior to Jan) is where to aim
the darn thing. I have calcs and a db to help me figure
out which way I should be aiming but I often find that
the direct route isn't. Longpath is obvious, but some-
times the strongest signal comes from 20+ degrees either
way. Two weeks ago I had a qso with a KL7 (real) from
South Carolina with my 7 elements on 10 pointed about
20 degrees. He and I were both 59+. That was after
poining right at him (great cirlce) and exchanging 55
at best.

So try turning your beam back and forth a bit. I also
discovered once that I wasn't aiming where I thought I
was - (no more true north!) my Hygain 'Pathfinder'
digital control lost power and forgot where north was!
Sometimes looking out the window to see if it is
pointing where you think it should be helps, too.

GL es 73!

-Brian n8wrl