[TowerTalk] Chicken Wire

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Chicken Wire
From: aa4nn@juno.com (Joe L Blackwell)
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 03:16:58 -0400
 Re: Chicken wire.....
Snip
>I have a question for our experts.
>Is galvanized steel wire going to provide reasonable/acceptable
>performance in the ground screen?
>The soil chemistry has a lot to do with longevity. Its dry, sandy and
>alkaline here.

Maybe I am the crazy one here, but I roll out the chicken wire for the
contest season and roll it back up come spring.  I don't worry about
longevity as the ground screen is a temporary thing.  I mean, chicken
wire would absolutely rot away if you put it under ground.  If you want
a permanent radial sysyem, then put copper wire in the ground and
then during winter time, enhance the system with some chicken wire
on top of the ground.  Give your signal a little more punch.

I don't worry about the galvanizing aspects either, because the wire
isn't harmed during the 3 or 4 months its lying on the ground.  One
thing I learned about putting out chicken wire, tho, and this is very
profound, (It's a lot more fun putting it down than taking it up!)

73, de Joe AA4NN
aa4nn@juno.com