[TowerTalk] Radio location in relation to antenna

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Radio location in relation to antenna
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 14:14:45 -0400
At 07:56 AM 10/18/1999 -0500, Ed wrote:

>Hi, Terry...
>
>Although I'd much rather be on the ground floor, we just moved into our
>second house where my shack is located on the second floor, almost directly
>beneath two antennas.  Not glowing in the dark yet, turning green or
>anything like that.  What negative health issues I have either preceded
>these locations or are attributable to getting a few years
>older.  (Theoretically I suppose you'll be a bit close to your antennas for
>comfort but for the first 40 years of my ham career we didn't know the
>supposed dangers of being too close to an RF source and I never knew anyone
>to suffer from it.  Do you have a spare lead suit laying around?)

There is an on-line RF exposure calculator on the Web that will tell you
whether the RF exposure inside your house (not to mention your shack) meets
FCC standards.  Whatever the merits of the concern about RF exposure, that
regulation is the law, and people renewing licenses without having done the
assessment (and corrected the exposure level if necessary) are violating it.

73,  Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower