[TowerTalk] Non-permanent towers; what to do?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Non-permanent towers; what to do?
From: dlhough@rabbitbrush.com (dlhough@rabbitbrush.com)
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 09:12:34 -0700

        We've just done what you're asking about. We use a Universal aluminum
tower, 50'
 high.

         Got a flat roof mount, which is 2 pieces of channel iron welded in a
"T" shape.
 The base section of the tower bolts to brackets welded into the channel iron.
We
 got 3 pieces of 3/4" steel rod 8' long and drove them into the ground until
 refusal. The rods fit thru holes in the flat roof mount. We cut the rods off
 evenly about 8" above the ground and threaded them. The flat roof mount was
then
 bolted to the rods.

         That tower base is going nowhere. The tower is guyed. For guy anchors
we used
 1" rebar 8' long and drove them into the ground 7'. The soil is stiff where I'm
 living so the anchors are firm. This wouldn't work where the soil was gravely,
 sandy or not compacted. Works fine in clay soils or undisturbed alluvial soils.

         I'm comfortable climbing the tower and tramed the X7 up there and
muscled it
 into place.

        To pick up and move, use an old style automobile bumper jack and bingo,
the
rods come right out.

 73,
 Dave Hough, KC7DM