[TowerTalk] RE: [Tower talk] Routing wire from tower to ground forlightn

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RE: [Tower talk] Routing wire from tower to ground forlightning
From: dick@libelle.com (Dick Flanagan)
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 06:00:33 -0700
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
>Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 08:36:57 -0500
>From: "Wes Attaway" <wes@attawayinterests.com>
>
>As far as power company grounds are concerned, I have never seen a really
>good one at any house.  Most of the time they are not as good as the average
>ham station ground.  They serve the intended purpose, but they can almost
>always be improved.  I would never rely only on the power ground.  I would
>drive other ground rods and simply include whatever ground the power company
>put in with your overall all scheme.

Here in the High Sierras of Northern Nevada the soil conductivity is so
bad the code says the local service entrance ground CANNOT be simply a
ground rod.  It needs to be a Ufer-style ground consisting of at least
twenty feet (don't quote me on that) length of #8 bare copper wire
imbedded in the concrete house footing.

Needless to say, the contractor and I were able to improve on that a bit.

73, Dick

--
Dick Flanagan W6OLD CFII Minden, Nevada DM09db (South of Reno)
Visit http://www.qsl.net/cvrc/