[TowerTalk] R-7000 Problem - Update

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] R-7000 Problem - Update
From: N2SCJ@MSN.COM (Bob Turner)
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 18:43:33 -0400
Val,

I found 2 broken solder joints in the inductor box at base which I repaired.
At least one of the broken joints appears to be related to the broken cable
ties which then put the weight of the inductor on the solder joint.  I
replaced the cable ties.  There were cob webs running across the solder
traces which I cleaned off.  No real evidence of arcing.

Screws on traps were loose including the ones that make the electrical
connection heading inside the trap.  I took the connections apart, cleaned
and reassembled.  I did not open up the traps to look inside.  The lower
traps were more loose than the upper ones.  I'm considering putting some RTV
on the screw heads with the inductor wire under them when done.

I'm in the process of tuning now.   2:1 bandwidths are listed below.

10M    2:1 or better across the entire band.
12M.   2:1 or better across the entire band.

15M    21.10 - 21.45
17M    18.06 - 18.15    (will raise to include phone portion)

20M    14.12 - 14.30    (will raise to include all of phone)
30M    2:1 or better across the band.

40M    Lowest SWR of 2.6 @ 7.225.  3:1 bandwitdth is 7.18 - 7.28.   No real
dip in SWR here to figure out which way to adjust.  Hopefully, while I'm
tinkering with the lower freq bands this one will get better or at least
give me an indication of which way to adjust it.

Any comments or suggestions?

Bob