[TowerTalk] Re: Rohn 25 Brackets - Specs? Experiences?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Rohn 25 Brackets - Specs? Experiences?
From: ndavis@vt.edu (Nat Davis)
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 13:13:18 -0400

Bill,

I just finished my house-bracketed 30' tower.  The bracket is at about 16'
above ground and bolted into the attic space of my single-story home.  I
used the HBU bracket. I had to get the longest one (36") in order to clear
the overhang on my roof eves.

The HBU uses steel "arms"  that are 1/4' thick and about 1.5' wide to make
the bracket.  In my case, the steel arms on either side stuck out maybe
6-8" past the bracing (made from the same type of steel).  The thing had 6
bolt holes in its (wider) base to mount against the house.   In the attic,
I added plywood to tie 4 rafters together.  On top of the plywood and
against the side wall, I have a 6' 2x6 and a 4' 3x3 steel angle iron.  The
bolts from the bracket go through the wall, the 2x6, and then angle iron.
The angle iron is itself bolted to the plywood and the rafters.  This
mounting is very solid.

With about 14' of tower above the bracket, there is a _little_ flex in the
bracket arms that stick out past the bracket side bracing. However, even
when I was up on top of the tower, there was not what I considered to be
any significant movement of the tower above the bracket, never any
sensation that the tower was "swaying back and forth" in some unstable
manner -- and at 235 pounds, I was a pretty big weight up on the top of the
tower!  If I had it to do over again, I would consider the heavier HBUVTRO
bracket with the increased bracing just because of the roof overhang that I
had to work around.  For smaller overhang distances, the HBUVTRO seems like
a lot of overkill.

On the plus side, we had a very windy day this past Saturday.  Wind gusts
were probably 25-35 MPH.  I was very pleased to see that the tower was not
moving at all in the wind!  For all it cared, it might have been a
perfectly calm day.

Hope my info helps!

73,

Nat