R: [TowerTalk] Re: Welcome to towertalk

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: R: [TowerTalk] Re: Welcome to towertalk
From: g4lvq@mercuryin.es (Robert Williams)
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 18:50:41 +0100
Fully support your views on the 5 band 2 element quad design Ken,
three years
ago I constructed a Gem quad for a friend back in the UK, added
elements for
12 and 17 metres and fed it with UR67 coax to an Ameritron remotely
controlled switch box on a 60 foot Versatower, then via individual 1/4
wave 75 ohm
matching stubs to the driven elements. Made the terminators for the
driven elements
out of Lexan and fitted PL259 plugs to them to take the 75 ohm stubs.
Very little
soldering involved apart from terminating the reflectors.
He rarely lifts it above the 40 foot mark but it will bust any pileup
on any band and
usually in less than 10 minutes. The only problem was the plastic ties
originally
used to fasten the elements to the spreaders failed too frequently, I
replaced them
with short lenghts of enamelled wire a year ago and we have,nt had a
break since,
the performance was unaffected. Front to back ratio, which can be
tricky on quads,
is excellent on all bands.
Another friend has the same antenna but fed with individual feed lines
for each band
which terminate in a manual coax switch in the shack, tower height is
only 40 foot
but the performance is equally outstanding. Sixteen contacts,
different bands and
modes, with VK0IR is testimony to that.

Bob G4LVQ now EA7/G4LVQ.