[TowerTalk] 40m beams

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 40m beams
From: brian_smithson@vds.com (Brian Smithson)
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 15:33:33 -0400
Hi all!

As the base for my 2nd Trylon cures, I'm contemplating the
beams. I have 24' of 1/4" 4130 that will leave 16' sticking
out the top. I plan on a 12/17 beam on top and I'd like a
reasonable signal on 40. I have a C31XR on the first tower
that works great.

I'm struggling with my options. I have no experience home-
brewing beams but until a year ago, I could say the same
about tower installation!

I've heard good things about the 2 and 3 element F12
designs, as well as Cushcraft. It has also been suggested
that I consider homebrewing a full-size 2el 40.

I thought I'd post a query to the TT experts - what would
you do if you were putting a single 40m beam at 75'? What
do you think about the linearly-loaded designs vs. full-
sized? I'm interested in the trade-offs in gain, bandwidth,
and rotor-load.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, and see you in WW!

-brian n8wrl