[TowerTalk] Rohn HDBX and a C3

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn HDBX and a C3
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 22:29:49 EST
In a message dated 99-11-04 21:47:08 EST, kg9cc@inw.net writes:

> I know putting a C3 on this tower is exceeding the mfgr specs but was
>  wondering if anyone has this combination and if so how it has survived?
>  Wind speeds and the like?

        Peoria County is a 75 MPH windspeed zone (from
http://www.championradio.com under Tech Notes). The HDBX-48 is rated at 18
sq.ft. at 70 MPH so that's close enough. The C3 is a moderately small antenna
so you shouldn't have any problems with the installation. Yes, the C3 (and
just about any other HF antenna ever made) exceeds the factory 10-foot
maximum boomlength recommendation but it's small enough and doesn't exert a
lot of wind torque on the tower so you should be peachy keen. (This only
constitutes a "slight fudging" of the manufacturer's specs.)

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
Tower Tech