[TowerTalk] HF 1500w Auto-Tuner Suggestions?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] HF 1500w Auto-Tuner Suggestions?
From: heatwole@clark.net (Nat Heatwole)
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 20:26:27 -0500 (EST)
I've been thinking about getting an Auto-Tuner to solve some of my small
(2:1 max) SWR problems and to keep my Alpha 78 amp as happy as possible.
I chose an auto-tuner over a roller-inductor one since I do a lot of HF
contesting and quick band changes are very important. I'm wondering what
you would suggest as a good auto-tuner to get (new or used). These are
the only guidelines that I have:

-It must handle at least 1kw CW (preferably 1.5kw), 1.5kw SSB, and at
 least 500w RTTY (preferably 1kw) .
-It must work from 160m-10m (with the WARC bands too if possible).
-It must tune in one second or less (if possible).
-It must be fully auto-tuning.

When I say auto-tuning I mean I would like it to connect to my radio
(FT-920) and automatically tune up whenever my SWR gets too high or
whenever I change frequencies. I would be willing to flick a band switch
if I had to, but would prefer not to. Let me know if you have any
suggestions. Thanks for reading.

Nat Heatwole
heatwole@clark.net
73 de KB3CBW, In FM19