[TowerTalk] Need some wisdom(a little luck wouldn't hurt either!) about

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Need some wisdom(a little luck wouldn't hurt either!) about a new antenna
From: thaxton@ptgroup.com (thaxton@ptgroup.com)
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 20:41:02 -0600
Hi troops,

    Ok I am stumped here.  I have a new mini-beam that I just got
put together and installed on the mast.  Problem is that I have
outrageous swr everywhere!!  Best I get  is 3.3 on the 10m section
with the worst on 15m being 10 and above ! 20m averages 4 to 8!

    These numbers are from my 259 and were taken at the antenna
itself, behind the balun.  I am confident that the assembly is
correct so I am stumped as to what I should do next.  The beam
sits on my roof and clears it's highest point by a good 3 feet.  Even
taking the "ground effect" into account this swr level seems way to
high for a brand new beam.

    So what should I be looking at next? Swapped baluns already,
no change. It can't be feed line since I measured the swr only 3
feet below the feed point with a verified chunk of feedline running
into the balun.  Even after hooking in the normal feedline to the
shack I get the same readings.

    Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.  I am a first time
beam owner so maybe I've done something stupid. Send me your
wisdom!! :)

thank you....

Don
N0FGK