[TowerTalk] Balanced line myth?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Balanced line myth?
From: alsopb@gloryroad.net (alsopb)
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 19:35:55 +0000
Guys,

Something has really been bothering me.  It is the statement which
often appears here.

"Balanced line doesn't radiate"

I wonder.  I think this statement is only true if it is feeding a
matched balanced load and the RF source is matched and balanced.

In practice, is this true enough to still state "balanced line doesn't
radiate"?

Anybody who has gotten RF into the shack must conclude that balanced
line does indeed radiate.

I'd like to suggest that the press release is generally false.  How
much it radiates (in practice) is the question.

Who would like to offer some quantitative data to determine how much
load/or source imbalance is necessary to get significant feedline
radiation?  It would be useful to know if any of our non-straight wire
antennas over non-flat (varying height of antenna above ground),
obstacle studded terrain present sufficiently balanced loads or not--
especially those for the lower frequency bands bands.

Only those offering quantitative data are invited to reply.  I'm not
interested in innuendoes and testimonials.

de Brian/K3KO