[TowerTalk] Tower construction

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower construction
From: k9zm@frontiernet.net (Greg Gobleman)
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 20:34:58 -0600
I can remember years ago, back in the middle 70's.  A fellow put up one of
those Wilson 40 foot boom, 16 element, 11meter beam on a 50 foot tall tower
made from angle iron.  It was up just a short time.  Survived a storm with
70+ mph winds and the next day, with a slight, steady breeze, it came
crashing down.  I had been impressed with the construction till then.  The
fellow said that thru the storm he was scared to death that it was going to
come down.  He had no idea that the light breeze would bring it down.  He
was watching it at the time.  Kind of like power lines dancing in the wind,
that breeze got that 40 foot antenna bouncing back and forth and the next
thing, it twisted right on down.  Had he been thinking, he possibly could
have moved it with the rotor and stopped the motion before it destroyed it.
Each section of that tower must have weighed twice or better than a section
of Rohn 25G, but that didn't stop it from coming down.

73
Greg K9ZM