[TowerTalk] Rohn Quality

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn Quality
From: philk5pc@tyler.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 11:05:11 -0600

> How are the Rohn 25 sections defective?  If you knew they
> were defective BEFORE installation, why did you proceed?

The holes were miss-drilled.
We did not know they were off until the tower was erected.

> If your guyed 190 ft tower looks like a snake, I would suspect
> the GUYS.  Did your installer use a plumb bob to align the
> tower?  I use two short plumb bobs at 90 degrees to each
> other to sight the tower.  Others use a long plumb bob
> suspended inside the tower.  Improper alignment of the
> guys will make ANY guyed tower look like a snake,
> even if the individual sections are PERFECT.

The tower was erected using DUAL transits and very high
dollar tension guages.

> To me, the quality of your INSTALLER is more suspect.

I do not know why the installer did not stop when he hit
the first defective section and notify the factory. He and I
had many years experience with Rohn, and we trusted them too much,
I guess.

Phil, K5PC