[TowerTalk] Re: Model Mania - The ultimate one towersystem

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Model Mania - The ultimate one towersystem
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 08:23:46 +0000
At 07:27 PM 12/18/99 EST, you wrote:

>Here's one for the computer model nuts (freaks....kooks....loonies???) to
>play with:
>

>Triple stack of C3E at 90/63/36 feet versus two stack of C31XR at 92/55.
>
>Both of those arrays are within reach of your "average guy" with room for a
>single tower.  Heights are based on separation of 27 feet for the C3s and 37
>feet for the C31XRs and take into account likely guy wire placements on a
>Rohn 25/45 type tower.  Using F12s numbers the C3E stack will be about 17
>square feet of load and the C31XR stack about 22 sq feet.
>
>I can think of pluses and minuses to each array.  Curious what others might
>come up with.

While I'm not sure that a 90-foot tower is really attainable in many
"average" circumstances, the 3-stack of short-boom 2-elelement antennas is
very attractive to me. In particular, the relatively low F/B ratio and
broad pattern can be helpful in contest situations.  Using just one C-3, I
find I can usually work mults off the back or on the edges of the front
lobe without turning the antenna, and the fairly strong backward signal
helps to hold a run frequency, at least for us on the East Coast.

I was glad to see Kurt's caution about the area figures -- I would ideally
like to have such a stack with a small 2-element 40-meter beam on top, but
this would be too much for the published ratings of the Rohn 25 tower I
have, even in this relatively benign wind environment.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com

Sometimes a tower is just a tower