[TowerTalk] what is the experience with F12 dual-band ants and Nradios?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] what is the experience with F12 dual-band ants and Nradios?
From: K7NV@contesting.com (Kurt Andress)
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 18:59:23 -0800
Hi Dave,

Years ago when we were doing a fair amount of contesting at my Dad's
place, W6KUT, we had some front end overload problems with our TS930's.
The station had fairly good sized monobanders and a KT34 (60' away). The
tribander, being resonant on any of the three bands picked up enough
energy to knock out the PIN diodes that switch the 930's bandpass
filters.

We were using receive bandpass filters, and 2 pole stubs on the
transmitters.

We managed to knockout both of our transcievers. We got upgraded PIN
diodes from Kenwood, and it happened again.
Finally, Kenwood came up with a tech bulletin, that installed a zener
diode across the RF input to ground, ahead of the bandpass filters. The
mod was said to make the front end capable of taking 50W. We made this
mod and the radios have been bombproof ever since. Still got'em both. I
once got to try the 50W test, getting ready for a M/M. No problem.

73, Kurt, K7NV