[TowerTalk] Type L or K Copper Pipe as Vertical?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Type L or K Copper Pipe as Vertical?
From: djl@andlev.com (Dan Levin)
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 17:19:32 -0800
Someone should create a FAQ on materials for making verticals :-)  This
would be one entry.

I was at my local DIY emporium today when I discovered Type L and Type K
'hard' copper pipe.  This stuff is 99.9% copper, comes in 1", 1.5" and 2"
nominal sizes, and comes in 10 and 20 foot lengths.  10 feet of 2" Type L is
about $45 (compare to 10 feet of 2" 6061 aluminum from Texas Towers at $45 -
but the cu has .070" walls and the al has .0120" walls).

Has anyone ever used this stuff to build verticals?  Any reason to think it
is a good or bad idea?  It is claimed to have a yield strength of ~40k PSI
in this 'hard' state.

Thanks!

                ***dan, K6IF