[TowerTalk] Re: tt

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: tt
From: k4oj@tampabay.rr.com (James White)
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 08:32:19 -0500
Years ago before Hurricane Andrew we had a 3 element wire beam up about 50
feet - suspended between two towers and a bunch of tall pine trees that
Andrew later removed...

First a coaxially fed dipole (hardwired from the split in the coax - no
balun, etc) with a  was hung and once it was just right as far as
tuning/trimming its length it was taken down...

We then made a director 5% shorter .15 w/l ahead of it, and a reflector 5%
longer .2 w/l behind it ...very crude approach not taking into account any
sort of feed point affects, etc. - but:

It worked Very Well!  Three rope "booms" were used of equal dimension were
used - a middle and one at the tips of the wire elements, to maintain
uniform spacing of the elements...then the whole mess was pulled up
taught....took a whole weekend to get the thing tensioned just right but it
was well worth it...

sometimes it doesn't pay to get too complex!

73,

Jim, K4OJ