[TowerTalk] Re: Radials over salt water

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Radials over salt water
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 10:39:30 -0500
On 1/10/01 15:35, Tom Rauch at w8ji@contesting.com wrote:

>> Thinking and analyzing the situation, there should
>> be improvement if using many (>60) elevated (or on ground) radials vs. few
>
>Fact Yuri. When the radials are less than .025 to .05  wl apart at
>the open ends, they look like a solid screen. Using more radials
>than that is a waste of wire.

Hmm. 1/4 wave radials means a circle of 1/2 diameter. That's a perimeter
of pi/2 wavelength, which divided by .05 yeilds about 31 radials.
Similarly, .025 spacing at the ends is about 63 radials.

If >63 radials is like a solid screen, I wonder why there's so much in
the amatuer literature about installations with 120 or so radials.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901