[TowerTalk] FCC Requirements

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FCC Requirements
From: jreisert@jlc.net (Joe Reisert)
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 19:33:26 -0500
Hi Tom,

Thought you'd like to hear a funny story about the original George Brown
120 radials tests.

At first it looks like a nice number, one radial every 3 degrees. However,
a few years back, Rich Rosen, K2RR was talking to the co-author of the
original article with George Brown. I think it was Bob Lewis, W2EBS (?) in
NJ, who was then active on 75 meters. He'd be pretty old now (about 92!).

Bob said something like this: "The technician finally laid down 100
radials. He came back and said, what do I do with all the extra wire still
on the reels. Bob said, just make more radials. When the reel was empty,
there were 120 radials. Guess what became the standard?"

73,

Joe, W1JR