[TowerTalk] Tiltover vs Foldover.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tiltover vs Foldover.
From: baycock@HIWAAY.NET (Bill Aycock)
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 16:55:41 -0600
It is my impression that we have a conflict of definitions.  He keeps
saying 'Tiltover' and the answers keep referring to 'Foldover' There is a
big difference in the terms, and in the engineering to make them work. Rohn
makes bases for Tiltover and for Foldover.

I bought a 25g FOLDOVER, used. With it, there were several bases- one of
them was for a TILTOVER. They CAN be used together. The tiltover base DOES
use J-bolts, to mount the fixed part of the metal base to the concrete base.

This type of base has two parts- one is a plate that is bolted to the
concrete. It has hinge and bolt-down features. The other part fits to the
normal straight section, and has the other half of the hinge, and a part to
lock it into place. The J-bolts use at least two nuts each, to allow
adjustment to vertical.

Once this type of base is properly installed, it holds very well, and, in
my case, allowed a 72 year old man to erect a 48 ft foldover tower alone,
without climbing more than 22 ft to install Coax.The secret is that the
only part tilted was the bottom 22 ft of the tower. I am an engineer, and
the calculation of the forces to be expected  ** During erection ** were
easy.  One the basic section was up, the Rohn specs were met, and adhered
to. Guys are required, and are always set up on the base section when the
upper part is either up or down.

All this is in the catalog, available from Steve, at Champion.

I know a source of 1" galvanized J-Bolts !!

Hope this helps- Bill-W4BSG
-
Bill Aycock   ---   Persimmon Hill
 Woodville, Alabama, US 35776