[TowerTalk] US Tower MARB55, questions?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] US Tower MARB55, questions?
From: tomrscott@sterlink.net (Tom Scott)
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 23:04:49 -0800
New to the list. Quick look didn't turn up anything in the archive.

Has anyone had experience with the US Tower MARB55? Specifically a couple
questions:

1. Has anyone ever tried to build a homebrewed crank-up winch? Seems like
the cost of the US Tower unit is pretty steep! Like another tower....
2. Has anyone ever had one fail in a strong wind? And how much wind load /
wind speed did it take?
3. How do you like it? What problems have you had?
4. Considering a two or three element tri-band Circular Quad on top. A lot
of work to build tooling and antenna, don't know if I'll get it built, might
settle for a traditional quad. Anyone put a quad on the MARB55?

We're on a mountain-top and pretty exposed to stiff winds, debating how much
wind load I should trust it with. A motor winch would make it more practical
to keep it down when not in use, better protecting it against high winds. I
have a used MARB55 in real good shape, but have had it over a year now and
still haven't got it installed. Looking at finally doing something summer.

Thanks!

- Tom Scott, eEngineering
Arrow Electronics
9500 SW Nimbus #E