[TowerTalk] PROP PITCH INFO

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] PROP PITCH INFO
From: k3nd@yahoo.com (GALE STEWARD)
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 05:51:49 -0800 (PST)
I agree that it's not ruined but it will need some
machine work.  I was given a converted prop pitch many
years ago when I was in the process of putting up my
first tower.  Since I was out of money, I decided to
use it for my rotator even though I knew nothing about
it.  The conversion broke the first winter and thus
started an ongoing series of fixes and improvements.
I learned quite a lot about them in the process!  I'm
still using my original prop pitch to turn a small
array (by todays standards) of a TH6 and 40-2CD.
The weakness in these units is in how the conversion
was made.  One of the original ring gears was cut or
ground off of the large splined assembly the exits the
case (which drives/turns the mast).  After this
conversion, this spline assembly was drilled and then
bolted to corrosponding holes drilled & tapped in the
aluminum planetary gear assembly.  Therein lies the
problem.  I've managed to make mine fairly
bullet-proof by doing the following:

(1)  Machine a "donut" (I used brass) to fit under the
spline assembly to fill in the space where the bolts
pass thru.  When bolted together, this creates a solid
"sandwich" of the spline/donut/gear case so that there
is no "slop" in this part of the drive train that will
eventually work loose.  This can then shear the bolts
(it happened here).

(2)  The holes that were drilled into the aluminum
planetary gear assembly should be drilled and tapped
to accept either HELICOIL or NYLOK steel threaded
inserts.  Install the inserts and then the bolts with
some medium-hold locktite and you should have a really
good, reliable rotator.

Have said all this, I'd still never use a converted
prop pitch for a really big array.  The one I have is
a "small" model prop pitch.  We had some of the big
ones at W3GM but I've never had any of them apart but
understand that they are similar in construction.
I've also used the sylsen/bicycle chain indicator
system for years with very few problems.

Hope some of you will find this info useful

73, Stew  K3ND

--- Stan or Patricia Griffiths <w7ni@teleport.com>