[TowerTalk] US Tower MARB550 Raising Winch

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] US Tower MARB550 Raising Winch
From: tomrscott@sterlink.net (Tom Scott)
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 12:38:12 -0800
Some more questions:

How often do folks routinely change the cable? Is it insufficient to inspect
it for fraying or wear? Do you really need to change it routinely whether it
looks bad or not?

Am I the only one that thinks US Tower's prices for the electric winch and
remote control box (MDP750 = $1500, and RMC1000 = $1000, for a total of
$2500) are awfully steep? That's about twice what I paid for the entire
tower. Nevertheless I'm beginning to think that's the only way to
conveniently keep it in the air, that is, if I can also get it down easily.
Winds can come up pretty quickly and I'm not going to want to go out to
manually crank it up and down everytime I get on the air.

Does anyone treat their galvanized steel with anything to help protect
against corrosion?

What about lubrication for the bearings and such given frequent light rains
here?

Thanks!

- Tom Scott, eEngineering
Arrow Electronics