[TowerTalk] Quad vs. yagi

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Quad vs. yagi
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 07:11:57 -0600
N4KG response below.

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001  K3BU@aol.com writes:
> In a message dated 2/9/2001 08:03:30 Eastern Standard Time,
> n4kg@juno.com
> writes:
>

> >  I find two of your claims very misleading or questionable.
> >
> >  1 -  You stated your Razor beams had 10 dB more gain
> >        than a 6L Yagi.  This seems preposterous.  I expect
> >        your razor beams are good antennas, but not THAT good.
> >
> You misreading what I said. Explanation coming in another post.
>

> >  2 - You compare your CQ WW records with stations
> >       in USA.  From Canada you can work thousands
> >       of USA contacts that represent ZERO point QSO's
> >       for USA stations.  NOT a level playing field.
> >
> >  de  Tom  N4KG
> >
> No, I had WORLD records, US scores were way behind. (This is up to
> 1986) You misreading again!
>
> 73 Yuri

Of course the USA scores were way behind.  They get
ZERO points for other USA contacts and you get TWO
points for every USA contact.  How many VE's were
active vs. how many USA?

Were these SINGLE BAND efforts?
What contest / year?

How many QSO's did you have?
How many with USA?
Did you have any SERIOUS competition from N.A.?

CQ contests award ONE point for contacts in the SAME
continent (EU to EU, Asia to Asia) EXCEPT for North America
where VE and Carib / C.A. stations receive TWO points per
QSO with other countries in NA (USA).  VE has longer openings
to USA than EU or Asia due to proximity.

With these biased scoring rules, there is NO WAY stations
in Europe or Asia can compete for World Records against
stations in less populated continents or non-USA stations
in North America.  You probably could have set a world record
with a tribander and the same level of effort.

As I said before, the CQ Contests do NOT provide a
Level Playing Field due to their unequal scoring rules
and ZERO point rule for same country contacts.

de  Tom  N4KG

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.