[TowerTalk] Dream on,he will have to prove it to manufacturers onhis de.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Dream on,he will have to prove it to manufacturers onhis de...
From: i4jmy@iol.it (i4jmy@iol.it)
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 13:25:11 +0100
Antenna modeling, at least to determine maximal gain (phisical of the
array) is more accurate than any test environment.
A test environment is a useful tool when all the external parameters
are under control and/or some antenna "feature" is unknown (read trap
losses) and one knows how to read what's actually measured.
The basical limitation with modeling is the approximation of real
devices and the unavoidable simplification of the external evironment.
The test field limits, expecially when performed out of an anechoical
chamber, are the existing and uncontrollable parameters (ground wave,
side modes of propagation, reflections,  etc.) or the impossibility to
warrant short and long term calibrations (instruments) or to measure a
resultant pattern (of direct wave and ground reflections).
Moreover, comparing HF lobes at angles (generally zero elevation) where
the lobe attenuation is already noticeable (to minimize reality) and
unwawnted modes or reflections are dominant, we may easily get false
results.
Using an accurate antenna modeling in a free space situation we can
know for sure what's the maximum gain obtainable by any antenna array
and we can compare antennas in a theoretical (but real) plain field.
Unfortunately that gain will be hardly obtained in practice and nothing
beyond real is actually true.

73,
Mauri I4JMY

W4EF@dellroy.com