[TowerTalk] Antenna Separation Distances (fwd)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna Separation Distances (fwd)
From: aa6eg@bob.tmx.com (aa6eg@bob.tmx.com)
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 08:10:47 -0800 (PST)
From: aa6eg@bob.tmx.com
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Antenna Separation Distances

Hello Towertalkians...

        I would like to know what the minimum separation requirements are
for antennas on a site with respect to preventing damage to receiver front
ends by multiple users of the site.  We have an existing antenna farm at
the old Ft Ord, which occupies about 5 acres of an open hillside and
hilltop containing mostly 70 ft wooden poles.  Many of the poles are
clustered quite close together, sometimes 25 ft from each other..Since
ours is a city owned facility that primarily will be used for HF
contesting, but will sometimes
have other ham activities shared, I am formulating rules for separation of
antennas when operating.  Worst case of course, will be unprotected
radios on the same band, with Kilowatt power outputs.  How close would you
think antennas could be without inflicting damage to each other's
receiver?  How about unprotected radios with closely spaced antennas but
different bands, KW level outputs?  Any hazards between VHF or UHF, and HF
radios at high power levels?  We had a front end of an old Kenwood TS180
fried due to uncoordinated use of radios/antennas at the site.  The two
yagis involved were about 20 ft apart, at a KW level, and on the same
band, with predictable results.
What say, guys?

Thanks....
Pat, AA6EG/N6IJ....