[TowerTalk] EF 420/240

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] EF 420/240
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 09:50:59 EST
In a message dated 3/2/01 5:08:10 AM Pacific Standard Time, cqki8fh@juno.com
writes:

> Can someone give me some pro's and con's of this antenna.  Would you buy
>  it agian or some other antenna?

    Works good but I haven't run into any mechanical problems that others
have (easily solved by using bolts thru the boom-to-element clamps and more
rivets on the elements).

    The only thing I don't like about the 40M linear loading scheme is that
each element needs to be tuned independently in the air; it cannot be assumed
that just measuring it will give you the resonate freqs you need for optimal
performance. This is in contrast to the Cushcrafts that you can
'set-and-forget'.

    The F12 antennas are generally lighter and exert less mast torque than
comparable antennas.

    IMO electrically and mechanically F12 antennas are quite good and
superior in some respects. Some design/performance inferences can be made
from their triband antennas which placed highly in our on-the-air tribander
comparison report plus the gain figures in their brochure are realistic.

    Monoband antennas are easy to design these days with computer modeling
programs; the trick here is how to interlace them for minimal problems. F12
seems to have this under control.

Cheers,    Steve   K7LXC
Tower Tech