[TowerTalk] 20 Meter

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 20 Meter
From: i4jmy@iol.it (Maurizio Panicara)
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 20:24:56 +0100
I had to design an antenna with similar boomlenght than a 205 and I found
best to slightly lenghten the boom from 10.4 m to 10.8 m developing a 5
elements OWA with a direct 50 Ohms feed point.
Any attempt to add an extra director, really meaningful to gain and F/B,
required the boom lenght was increased by 1.5 times and so I gave up with
that option.
The calculated gain with a 10.8m boom (35.5 ft) is 9.6 dBi with a F/B better
than 25dB from 14.15 to 14.3 (that yagi have been designed for WWDX SSB
applications) .
Calculated SWR was 1:1.4 from 14.0 to 14.35 while actual SWR at RTX edge was
a bit less but the coax line was really quite long (350 Ft of 7/8" semirigid
cable) and the losses, is known, are bidirectional.
Since an OWA with 50 OHm feed point approaches a lossless feed system but
may lose some fraction of dB if compared with an antenna having a real
"first" director, we can conclude that the absolute gain for a practical
antenna (with reasonable BW, F/B and SWR bw) in the range of 36 ft boom can
probably exceed 10 dBi , even with only 4 elements.
Incidentally, any matching system to rise a low feed point impedance
(hairpin, gamma etc.) is a bit lossy and those losses tend to increase when
the fed impedance is starts to be lower than 30 Ohm.
Once again, nothing real is for free.

73,
Mauri