No subject

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: No subject
From: Bob Otto <N8NGA@one.net> (Bob Otto)
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 14:28:36 -0500
Hello towertalk,

      "I was once in Pakistan, and saw a blocked main sewer - the
manhole cover in the street had been taken off and the contents (you
can imagine this bit !) were flooding out on to the road. To clear the
blockage, a guy stripped down to his underwear, grabbed the end of a
safety rope, and went in head-first - he was under about 20 seconds.
Now, imagine how this problem would be dealt with in the 'first world'
- safety suits, breathing equipment, electronic blockage-location
equipment, etc. etc. - this is the kind of differences that exist in
the world."

Does this mean that the way we live is wrong??  You find this kind of
situation where human life has little or no value.  Yes, our rules are
tough -- sometimes they border on silly such as (at least on the
surface of it) the helmet rule for California.  Yes, we have too
damned many lawyers <G> But let me ask the group, would anyone trade
those rules, and the quality of life that goes with them, for some
other set?? Perhaps another good question would be, would you suggest
**your** son strip down and dive in that sewer line??  Would you have
him work in the mines we had 100 years ago, before all the lawyers and
the politicians changed the way we live?? I think NOT!   I think it's
fun to poke at our rules, and our conservatism, but if your neighbors
"experiment" in repairing his tower meant that it fell on your house
and killed your child -- you'd be on the phone calling YOUR LAWYER in
a heartbeat!!

One other thought -- is it the lawyers who are to blame for this
litigious society??  Or is it we Americans who think that every
disaster that happens must have someone pay for it??  Is it **US**
that are to blame??  Who calls the lawyer to start a suit??  Who has
the expectation that if something bad happens -- someone should pay?

Finally, what the hell does all this have to do with putting my new
C31XR up??  <laugh>

Have a good day gang.

73 from....

Bob Otto
N8NGA@one.net
Cincinnati, Ohio

Time Written:
1:59:29 PM
Attachments:
<none>

DXCC 10M         ** DX Is !! **        WAS 10M
       There is a very fine line between
          "HOBBY" and "MENTAL ILLNESS"
When trouble arises and things look really bad,
there is always one individual who perceives a
solution and is willing to take command.
      Very often this person is crazy!