[TowerTalk] LOOS guage

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] LOOS guage
From: rbodine@cpinternet.com (Dick)
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 19:03:32 -0600
I've calibrated many cable tensiometers used in aircraft maintenance.
The calibration process has you suspend calibration standard weights
from a specific length of cable;  I seem to recall our test cables were
in the neighborhood of 4 feet long.  The gauge is clamped onto the cable

in several locations to ensure repeatability of the measurements for
each weight with the  indicator falling within a specified range to be
within tolerance.  This is repeated for the cable sizes the tensiometer
is made to measure.  I won't say length will affect accuracy because the

instrument is measuring the cable tension where it attaches to the
cable however, I think we had a minimum length we used.  Is there a
metrologist on TT who can corroborate or dispute the accuracy of my
statement regarding length or the calibration process?

--
Dick Bodine, WJ0M
Duluth Minnesota