[TowerTalk] Engineering view of connector discussion

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Engineering view of connector discussion
From: n3rr@erols.com (Bill Hider)
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 18:09:52 +0100
There has been a lot of info posted in the past few days re: connectors
and I thought I'd be able to be quiet, but I can't.

Yes, there are anecdotes that each of us has, but here's some engineering
data
that should be used when deciding on a connector.  The following is not
exhaustive (that
would take more bandwidth than this reflector has):

Ratings for Type N connector:
(From http://www.andrew.com/catonline/  page 633)

DC Test Voltage = 2.0 KV
Average Power = 0.6 KW*
Peak Power = 10 KW

UHF:

DC Test Voltage = 2.0 KV
Average Power = 0.3 KW*
Peak Power = 10 KW

Note that peak power is frequency independent.
* Max average power @ 900 MHz.

>From the 1994 ARRL Handbook, page 35-28:
The UHF connector has a non-constant impedance and the usable frequency
range for
a UHF connector is up to 500 MHz.
      and
The Type-N connector has a max VSWR of 1.3 from 0-11GHz.

There are other considerations that may determine your connector choices as
well.
Most importantly, freq of operation, what kind of cables will you use and
what connectors are
readily available for and cost effective for those cables?

Bill, N3RR

List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers, safety
equipment, rigging gear, LOOS tension guages & more!
http://www.championradio.com

-----