[TowerTalk] Cushcraft X-9

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft X-9
From: n6ws@msn.com (Bill & Chris Shell)
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 08:06:05 -0700
Gary,

I've had an X-9 with the X-940 40m add-on loaded dipole since it first went
into production.  It replaced my KT-34XA, which I had for 15 years, and my 2
element full-sized 40m Yagi.  Overall, I find the X-9 to be well
constructed, and a good performing antenna.  The log-cell with the added
full-sized reflectors and one tri-band director of the X-7 is also a good
antenna.  I probably agree with others that responded to your question that
the added full-sized 10m director and tri-band element that is added to the
X-7 to make the X-9 may not add a lot in performance.  However, 1 dB can
make a difference sometimes.  I really don't know if it is worth the extra
boom length and weight.

One feature that isn't advertised that I find very useful is that the X-9
covers 12m and 17m.  It has considerably more gain than my 17m half-wave
sloper on 17m.  On 12m I have nothing to compare it to but it is directive
with good f/b and f/s, which would lead me to believe there some gain, also.
The VSWR is quite low on both bands.  I just check it to verify the VSWR
readings.  It is 1.3:1 on 17m and pretty flat across the band, and 1.3:1 on
low end of 12m, and decreasing to about 1.1:1 at the high end.  These
measurements are in shack with about 100 ft of coax.  I assume that the X-7
should also work on 12m and 17m, but I really have no experience trying the
X-7 on those bands.

Overall, it has been a good performing antenna, and I'm very satisfied with
it mechanically.  It can support about 200-300 birds with no sagging.

73, Bill
N6WS
n6ws@msn.com