[TowerTalk] Opinions please--re: 40-2CD compared to XM-240

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Opinions please--re: 40-2CD compared to XM-240
From: k3nd@yahoo.com (GALE STEWARD)
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 10:04:56 -0700 (PDT)
You need to be careful here.  I had my 40-2CD down
last fall for some minor repairs.  I had previously
done the W6NL/W6QHS mods but had not redrilled the
the antenna was down.  All four loading coil
assemblies looked fine and the original shrink wrap
was in good condition.  I was very suprised when I cut
the shrink back on the first coil to discover that the
steel self-tap screw was badly rusted and that
corrosion was evident at the coil-to-tubing
connection.  I cleaned everything, drilled and
installed stainless hardware with penetrox as per the
mod.  In all, I found three of the four loading coils
to be in the same condition.  The last one was in
perfect condition like the day it was made (bright and
shiny)!  There was no visable difference in the
hardware used or in the construction in the four
coils.  Go figure!  Bottom line is that you may not be
able to tell the condition of these connections by
looking at the outside of the assembly.

73, Stew  K3ND

SNIP