[TowerTalk] Buried coax in the real world

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Buried coax in the real world
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 12:27:52 -0400
> I now have become even lazier.  I no longer terminate the antennas
> with open or short circuits for these measurements.  Instead, I
> measure with an antenna connected, and using a range of frequencies
> different to that favoured by the Yagi.  As long as you stay off its
> working range and secondary resonances, its SWR is close enough to
> infinity to provide a very good approximation.  Of course, a
> better-than-infinite-SWR match will reduce the reflected power, making
> the cable look more lossy than it really is.  In other words, if you
> obtain the original (unterminated) reading over a range of
> frequencies, you can accept those readings even if there is an antenna
> connected to the feedlines.
>
> The advantage is that I can now measure the integrity of all the
> feedlines in the station within a few minutes, and without having to
> leave the shack.

This is almost the same thing I now do with all my receiving
antennas. I recorded the return loss on all the systems. I simply
scan through the antennas (all 30 or so) and check them on one
frequency...and scan back through again at a higher frequency. In
this case, since the antennas are mostly terminated. I look for a
change in return loss from normal...either up or down.

By using the distance-to-fault program, I can find a problem within
a few feet of distance even on 2000 foot long feedlines if it is a large
deviation from the normal impedance at that point..like an open
shield.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com

List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers,