[TowerTalk] micro-reflectors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] micro-reflectors
From: k2av@contesting.com (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 14:16:33 -0400
I also have the problem of many emails to deal with, both on the reflectors,
and at work.

The typical load at work can be anywhere from a couple dozen to over 400. A lot
of those are noise, some are machine generated, "notifications" that processes
have run, etc.

It is important that the subject line is concise and accurate. That allows
notifies and others to be seen and deleted. In case one is odd or interesting,
I can open it.

I do the same thing with towertalk. I will delete threads I don't want to read,
counting on the SUBJECT to correspond to what people are talking about.

Allowing broad content on TowerTalk, and using this tactic GIVES ME THE CHOICE
to read or not.

Others seem to think that a reflector should somehow confine itself to their
preference of subjects. I understand the sentiment, but simply do not agree
that is less work overall.

The hobby is complex enough that there will always be overlapping subjects and
ALWAYS be someone dissatisfied with the level of "off-topic" posts.

One useful aspect of the current towertalk sure to lose with split reflectors
is the searching aspect, unless a global (cross-reflector, with text) search is
implemented.

I found it curious that one poster felt obliged to read all the content on the
reflector if he subscribed. On some days when I have just a few minutes to read
direct personal mail and it's been that way for a while, I just delete the
entire content from some or all the reflectors. Other days I would prefer to
browse. Since they all have archives, I can always search on a hot subject and
will pick up any relevant posts I deleted at that time.

I know that micro reflectors will introduce some possibilities, but some of the
"generalist" aspects will suffer, and it may engender a fresh breed of
self-appointed "topic police".

In any event, I remain indebted to W4AN, K7LXC, AD1C, et al, for all that has
been accomplished and will utilize and support their future offerings, however
that may differ from howIwouldadoneit.

73 y'all, Guy.