[TowerTalk] Alternative tower coatings

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Alternative tower coatings
From: asfco.org@verizon.net (asfco)
Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 10:38:49 -0400
Dan Simmonds wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As we all know, zinc galvanizing is by far the most common method of
> protecting a metal surface on towers both inside and out. I'm wondering if
> anyone has ever seen a tower section coated with a different material other
> than this. I know companies such as PPG have some excellent paint systems
> available today that could be applied much the same way as with a zinc bath
> with much less cost. Types of powder coatings could perhaps be used which are
> nearly as tough as galvanizing, as it looks after a bit of study on the
> subject. It also may be a way to bring that old rusty tower back to life on
> the inside. I'd be interested to hear anyone's comments about this, or on
> products that may be suitable.
>
> 73
> Dan KE3YT
> ke3yt@usa.net

> .

> I have an old 1968 Land-Rover which I have restored.  As you may or may not
> know all of the body cappings/trim/bumpers/windshield frame are galvanized..

I had everything Hot-Dipped and it looks like new...the only thing to be
concerned about here would be warping which usually only affects smaller parts.
think a tower would be fine, In fact the place that did my work in NJ does large
broadcast towers
all the time.
      Another concern would be threaded holes and bolts which are left in place
during the process you will not be able to remove them..Threads would either
have
to be re-tapped or you may insert threaded wooden dowling to protect the
threads..
    The ONLY way to ensure the proper result ie: having galvanizing material on
the inside of the tower is to use the hot dip process..
   If you want to protect the OUTSIDE  only and use brush on or spray products
the BEST stuff to use comes from ZRC worldwide see their website
http://www.zrcworldwide.com
   I do know that the NJ Galvanizing in newark, NJ does have Tractor Trailer for
pick up
if you need to contact them they can be contacted at 800-631-9044
There is also a place that does hot dip in Virginia
Hope this helps
73-
Steve Bradke W2GB

List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers,